13/07/2017 Honne and Takemae 本音と建前

Before

There are compete different flatmates who came from in my house.
Some people came to Europe, some people came to South America.  I am the person who only came from Asian.  This is why, I am always confused to know their thinking.  
Before I was in Japan, I thought that I could claim something that I want to say to other people, but now, I could not say it well.  Its problems doesn’t connect to my English skills, just my personality.  I also think that it is related to my background and culture.  In Japan, it is important to maintain our relationship. So if we have a problem, we don’t claim to each other.  I mean, it is important to keep our “relationship" rather than to destroy it.  It is called “建前(a fake opinion or a public face)” and “本音(a real opinion)”.   
I should say my opinion directly, but I could do it.  What do I say “本音” not to hurt someone’s feeling?  It is my important problems.


NOTE
say: 主張という意味も持っている
claim: 自分の物にしている根拠の無い主張  e.g. He claimed that he was smart.


After

The flatmates in my house come from all over the world.
Some are from Europe, some are from South America.  I am the only Asian. This is why I am always confused when I try to read them.
When I was in Japan, I always thought I was able to convey my thoughts to other quite well, but I cannot do as well now.  The problem is not with my English shills, but my personality.  I also thing that it is related to my background and culture.  In Japan, it is important to maintain our relationships.  If we have a problem, we don't complain to reach other. It is more important to maintain our "relationship" rather than destroy it.  It is called "建前 Tatemae"(a fake opinion or a public face) and "本音 Honne"(a truthful opinion).  I should be direct and honest with my opinions, but I cannot do it. How do I say my"本音"without hurting someone's feelings?  It is one of my important problems.

Comments

Popular Posts